Legal Defense Plan Comparison: Plans Offered in MN (last updated January 1, 2019)
Only Sworn Law Enforcement officers are eligible for LDP by FOP, Teamsters, and MPPOA
|FOP State||FOP National||Team Legal||MPPOA|
|Cost per year- individual||$175.00||$310.00||$????a||$104.00|
|On Duty Coverage- Criminal||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|On Duty Coverage- Civil||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|On Duty Coverage- Disciplinary/administrative||YES||YES||NO1||NO1b|
|On Duty Coverage- Traffic citations||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Off Duty Coverage- Criminal||YES||NO1c||NO2||NO|
|Off Duty Coverage- Administrative/Disciplinary||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Off Duty Coverage- Traffic citations||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Criminal Defense coverage for Spouse||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Discounts on other personal Legal matters- whole family||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Free consultation on any personal legal matter||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Uses “attorney lists”||NO2b||YES||YES||YES|
|A Lawyer must take your covered criminal case||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Level of Fees covered depend on use of “Plan attorney”||NO||YES||YES||YES|
|Uses 1 number for DIRECT 24-7 attorney consultation||YES||NO||NO3||NO3|
|Coverage limits for attorney fees||NO||NO||YES||NO|
|Distinguishes between management positions||NO||NO||YES||YES|
|Must be a union member||NO||NO||YES||YES|
|Covers DUTY RELATED incidents outside MN||NO5||YES||YES||YES|
|Covers NON DUTY RELATED incidents outside MN||NO5||NO||NO||NO|
|Coverage determined by a plan administrator company||NO||YES||YES6||NO6a|
|Discount on Wills||YES||NO||NO||NO|
a. This price is unknown. Teamsters has changed their plan, see footnote 6 below
1. Disciplinary and labor matters are covered by membership in Teamsters.
1b. Does cover POST licensure issues
1c. FOP National has an off duty supplement for extra $, limited to a maximum amount of legal fees for discipline only.
2. Does cover off duty situations related to employment status as police officer, but for example ordinary DWI is NOT covered.
2b. Both plans has several attorneys servicing the plan. State FOP and MNPEA uses Fowler Law Firm as primary contact.
3. Uses one central number, 24/7, but the person answering is NOT an attorney.
4. Retirees are eligible for HR 218 coverage nationwide, Teamster plan costs extra.
5. MN FOP does offer criminal on & off duty related criminal coverage for incidents occurring in Wisconsin, but officer must be employed in MN.
5a. MNPEA legal plan only covers off duty incidents in Minnesota. There is a proposal pending to the Board to add Wisconsin off duty coverage. As a union, they cover on duty incidents wherever they occur
6. Teamsters has changed how this plan is administered- it is no longer Team Legal, it is now Teamsters Legal Defense Fund administered by Teamsters nationally. They will not share information with FOP.
6a MPPOA decides coverage issues – THEY CAN DENY COVERAGE, see plan document. CAN ONLY CHOSE their plan or they will not cover, for example, if have FOP National or State they will make you chose, they don’t allow multiple plan coverages.
“Full coverage” means NO LIMIT on attorneys fees. State FOP plan and MNPEA have NO LIMITS on attorney fees.
However, both plans do have a limit on out of pocket expenses paid on your behalf (such as expert witnesses) of $5,000.