Legal Defense Plan Comparison: Plans Offered in MN (last updated January 19, 2015)
Only Sworn Law Enforcement officers are eligible for LDP by FOP, Teamsters, and MPPOA
|FOP State||FOP National||Team Legal||MPPOA|
|Cost per year- individual||$150.00||$258.00||$86.00a||$96.00|
|On Duty Coverage- Criminal||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|On Duty Coverage- Civil||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|On Duty Coverage- Disciplinary/administrative||YES||YES||NO1||NO1b|
|On Duty Coverage- Traffic citations||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Off Duty Coverage- Criminal||YES||NO1c||NO2||NO|
|Off Duty Coverage- Administrative/Disciplinary||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Off Duty Coverage- Traffic citations||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Criminal Defense coverage for Spouse||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Discounts on other personal Legal matters- whole family||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Free consultation on any personal legal matter||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Uses “attorney lists”||NO2b||YES||YES||YES|
|Attorney you call must take your case||YES||NO||NO||NO|
|Level of Fees covered depend on use of “Plan attorney”||NO||YES||YES||YES|
|Uses 1 number for DIRECT 24-7 attorney consultation||YES||NO||NO3||NO3|
|Coverage limits for attorney fees||NO||NO||YES||NO|
|Distinguishes between management positions||NO||NO||YES||YES|
|Must be a union member||NO||NO||YES||YES|
|Covers DUTY RELATED incidents outside MN||NO5||YES||YES||YES|
|Covers NON DUTY RELATED incidents outside MN||NO5||NO||NO||NO|
|Coverage determined by a plan administrator company||NO||YES||YES6||NO|
|Discount on Wills||YES||NO||NO||NO|
- This price is believed to be accurate. This was the price of the former Team Legal Plan, Teamsters has changed their plan, see footnote 6 below
- Disciplinary and labor matters are covered by membership in Teamsters.
1b. Does cover POST licensure issues
1c. FOP National has an off duty supplement but is limited to a maximum of $2,500 in legal fees for discipline only.
- Does cover off duty situations related to employment status as police officer, but for example ordinary DWI is NOT covered.
2b. State FOP plan has 5 law firms servicing the plan. State FOP uses Fowler Law Firm as primary contact.
- Uses one central number, 24/7, but the person answering is NOT an attorney.
- Retirees are eligible for HR 218 coverage nationwide, Teamster plan costs extra.
- MN FOP now covers all criminal on & off duty related criminal incidents occurring in Wisconsin, but officer must be employed in MN.
- Teamsters recently has changed how this plan is administered- it is no longer Team Legal, it is now Teamsters Legal Defense Fund administered by Teamsters nationally. They will not share information with FOP.
“Full coverage” means NO LIMIT on attorneys fees. State FOP plan has NO LIMITS on attorney fees.
The State FOP plan does have a limit on out of pocket expenses paid for by the MN FOP (such as expert witnesses) of $5,000.